Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Toddlers - the perfect cleaning solution

I was recently at a local shop that sells bedding, kitchen supplies, dishes, and more. It’s one of those stores that you can find anything or nothing…plus lots of fun stuff you really don’t need. I came across something that actually made me look twice – and then ponder the ultimate possibilities.
It was a kids “toy” snow shovel. Looked just like mom and dad’s, but in a smaller size. The tag said “for playtime only” or something like that. It looked like a perfectly good shovel…truly. So why for “play” only? Why not put that kid outside and let him or her “play” at shoveling the sidewalk. That got me to thinking about all the possibilities.
My almost 4-year-old granddaughter told me that she wanted pretend food, fruit and a shopping cart for her upcoming birthday. Why stop there? Why not give her $125 bucks and let her do some shopping for me? Same with the pretend vacuum cleaner and mop. Seriously? Why waste a perfectly good opportunity for clean floors? Let’s just make smaller sized vacuums and let her go to town. And for my granddaughter that isn’t yet walking, but is a crawling maniac, how about taping two Swiffer’s on the bottom of her knees so she can help me clean my hardwood floors.
Remember Easy Bake Ovens? How about making them a little larger so they can make things besides tasteless brownies? And the pretend sinks are great –but they’d be even better if we could actually add water and let them go to town on the real dirty dishes. (The plastic ones, of course – I’m not THAT crazy…).
They now have stuffed dogs that bark and move and kids can take them for pretend walks. I say put a leash on my two furry friends and let the toddlers have at it. See if they can wear each other down.
Now, there are certain things that should remain just for “play” – like the new iPhone look alikes – and the little computers. I am fine with them pretending to call and email. But unfortunately even the one- year-old knows the difference between the “real” cell phone and the “toy” cell phone. So I still get sticky fingerprints on my keypad no matter what.
I will draw the line at certain items that would be a safety issue. I mean pretend ironing boards should be left as just a toy…after all, what toddler knows how to do a perfect crease anyway? And I don’t think a toddler blender and/or food processor would fly either. (Unless they are planning on making their own baby food –but that’s another story). I think a small leaf blower may fly though – and of course a push broom and dust pan would fit right in as well.
Think of the possibilities! We have Merry Maids and Clean Sweep, why not “Babies and Brooms” or “Tots and Vacs”? Maybe “Dirt-Free Dependents” or “Rugrats Rug Cleaners”. How about “Diaper-wearing Dustbusters”. The possibilities are limitless.
Having kids clean is a great idea except for one thing: it only works if they are having fun and it appears to be a game. They are sneaky and intelligent beings. The minute they realize that they are actually helping clean for real, they’d rather go back to watching Dora. Go figure. I guess my next goal is to learn how to “out sneak” them. Wonder how they’d feel about using a pretend hose to clean my pretend car?

No comments: