Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Modern (?) Recycling

In this day and age, it is oh so politically and ethically correct to be Green. So much so, that I believe all of you know I am talking about recycling and not Kermit. Recycling should be a habit by now, and by observing most around me, I believe it is.
Being green is much more than trash, however. I actually found out that I was green before green was even cool. (For you country fans, there’s a song in there…) I have been recycling my clothes forever. I found out a long time ago I have a knack for consignment stores and the Goodwill. I seriously have a hard time buying retail, even when I want to spend the money. Don’t worry, I still give back and do my part in re-vitalizing our economy – since I can’t figure out how to recycle a good bottle of wine or a great meal out.
Lately, I have tried to be creative with my recycling – and have certainly looked way out of the box. On some things, old is the “new” new. Take my house – it’s the ultimate green project. I live in a rehabbed home that is 100 years old. If that’s not recycling, I don’t know what is! Same with some of the furniture inside it. I am not normally an antiques kind of girl. I don’t thrive on shopping and hunting for old things and I have no idea what the value of anything old should or could be. But I’ve found that when I use my intuition, there are some wonderful old pieces out there that have just screamed to be a part of my household. And these pieces, acquired from Craigslist, consignment stores, and yes, antique shops, all have wonderful stories all their own. Take my new dining room table. It’s an old oak pedestal table we bought for $20 – just for an interim table, we said, until we find the one we really want. Well, this table decided that it wanted to stay in our home. Not unlike a stray dog or cat, it has been on its’ best behavior for us. Every table cloth, every center piece, every plate or platter placed on the table is welcomed with love and looks like it was meant to be there. I was able to find wonderful chairs for $10 each – beautiful high back chairs that look perfect with the table. They absorbed the joy of the room and they now are keepers as well. Both the table and the chairs came from families with very young children. I was able to get the crayon marks and spaghetti stains off of them, but the happy energy of youth still remains.
Having this house makes me want to try harder to be more responsible for our earth. It makes me want to rejoice in the memories behind me and try harder to keep the planet green for more years ahead. I have a sign that says “Our house is not decorated – it is a display of our favorite things.” And that is pretty much what it is – an eclectic collection of wonderful things that seem to just fit together and want to live with us.
So every step of the way, as I acquire new/old items, antiques and lots and lots of plants, my house keeps smiling bigger and bigger. I refuse to think my home doesn’t give off a positive energy feel, for indeed it does – and many have felt it.
I would like to think that because of all our efforts to reuse and recycle, our planet – and not just our home – will be smiling for hundreds and thousands of years to come. For just like the earth, everything that I have, everything that lives with us – is not owned. It is just on loan, given to us with the hope that we will take good care of it so it can be loved and enjoyed for many generations to come.
Thank you, old home. Thank you, mother earth. Thank you loving beings that care enough to have this circle of life continue on.

No comments: