Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summertime is Flip Flop Time

The official dictionary definition of flip flop: reversal: a decision to reverse an earlier decision.
My definition of flip flop: A summertime feeling of freedom, especially when wearing said open-toed sandal. A way of life from June to October.

Ah, summer. Flip flops, margaritas and Jimmy Buffet songs. Doesn’t get much better than that, does it? I was raised in Southern California, where flip flops are a lifestyle. We wore them everywhere, all the time. We called them thongs, zori’s, sandals…it didn’t matter; it was the closest we could get to going barefoot.

My husband - mid-west born and bred - decided he doesn’t like to have anything between his toes. If it wasn’t for me, he’d probably wear socks with his sandals.
He is pretty set in his ways, and I finally figured out I may as well give up on trying to change him. (Not that I would ever do that, mind you….). I tried to explain to him that he was really missing the boat. There are so many cool and different kinds of flip flops to choose from. You can have flip flops that are leather, flip flops that are rubber, flip flops that have palm trees on them or flip flops with bottle openers in the bottom of the sole. You can get your flip flops wet and it doesn’t matter. They are just as relaxing as changing into sweatpants. They are definitely a “go to” pair of shoes.

I have a ton of flip flops. Red, yellow, brown, silver, gold, and a couple of basic black. Flip flops made from an old yoga mat. Flip flops with rhinestones. Flip flops that have heels. Flip flops that I would gladly wear daily if I could. My sister and I send flip flop paraphernalia back and forth to each other; notepads, cocktail napkins, patio glasses, refrigerator magnets…you get the idea. For us it’s not just about footwear – it’s a symbol of our favorite place in the whole world…the beach.

So when my husband surprised me the other day and brought home not one, but two pairs of flip flops, my heart soared. He’s ready to join the ranks of beach bums…getting by with the least amount of shoe on their feet as possible. Barely skating by the restaurant rule of “no shoes” (I still insist on wearing shirts). Living on sponge cake and watching the sun bake. (Thanks Jimmy).

Margaritas or not, flip flops are the epitome of summertime, wherever you may live. Putting flip flops on your soles, will surely make your heart soar. Add a little salt and lime, and your feet will be doing the happy dance in no time. Fins, anyone?

No comments: