Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Springtime is Grumpytime in Ohio

Spring is such a unique time in Ohio. We are all still trying to recover from our “spring forward” time change, and grumble when it’s still dark at 7am. We have to wear our winter coats to drive to work in the morning and are down to our shirt sleeves by the time we get home. We hope it won’t snow on Easter so we can hide our eggs outside.

I am not complaining, mind you. I celebrate spring just like the birds that are making nests in the holes in my house that the woodpeckers made last fall. I love spring so much that I don’t get (very) frustrated when said birds wake me at the crack of dawn trying to “feather” their nests right outside my bedroom window. There is one bird that is quite uncoordinated (or nearsighted), and keeps missing the hole in our house, hitting her wings and beak on my window. Normally I would say “awww, poor birdie”, and go outside and help her find her way. But at 6am I’m not in a very charitable mood. Especially when it is still dark and feels like it should be 3am.

The dogs are even a little confused by it all. When the alarm rings at the “you know what” crack of dawn, my husband and I aren’t the only ones hitting snooze and putting the covers over our heads…the dogs bury themselves deeper under the blankets too.
But once up, they embrace the day with such joy I only wish I could have half of their exuberance. When I say “they” I mean “him” - Charlie, our newest baby who is now two. Boo, the Newfie, doesn’t care much if the sun is out or not, just as long as he can lie around and lounge all day. But Charlie, well, he’s a certified bird watcher and squirrel chaser. He has his Master’s degree in both. And he strives to make himself better every day. Between our bird feeders and the woods behind our house, Charlie has plenty of subject matter. Charlie is also a white dog - that has perpetually muddy paws - and gets a bath every other day. Hunting for squirrels is a messy job, but somebody’s got to do it.

I sound a little bit grumpy about spring, but now that it’s 9am and the sun is finally up, I am a happy camper. The heat is still on in the house, and though my new spring clothes are begging to be worn, it’s on with the fleece yet one more weekend. If you think I sound grumpy now, just wait for the April Showers. Did I mention I have a white dog and light tan carpet?

It’s time now for me to go embrace the day, check out the new buds on the trees, admire the beautiful crocuses who have better cold weather stamina than I do, and thank God that we survived another long and grey Ohio winter.

No comments: