Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Want to Live Like My Dog

“A dog is like an eternal Peter Pan, a child who never grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved.”
--Aaron Katcher, American Educator and Psychiatrist
“Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.”
--Corey Ford, American writer
I want to be like my dog. He’s so full of life and zest and love. He doesn’t second guess anything I say or do and he lives his life “full steam ahead”, no questions asked. He believes me when I tell him how pretty he is after a haircut. He eats his meals with relish and doesn’t bemoan how many calories are in the kibble. He jumps for joy when given a treat, and doesn’t wonder if he should go to Weight Watchers because he got an extra bone for dessert.
How wonderful to be able to take doggy naps whenever you want. How great to wake up happy and refreshed and full of energy. Why can’t I walk two miles and still want to play? Why can’t I wear a dorky looking sweater and look incredibly adorable?
Like my dog, I want to be able to live my life full of joy and eternal happiness – to show my loved ones how much I adore them and want to be with them; to shower my friends with kisses – and to not look crazy when I shake my butt because I’m incredibly happy to see them.
I want to live like my dog. He lives in the present moment. He finds joy in everything he does. He doesn’t over-plan his days, forgetting about living in the “right now”…in fact he relishes in just “being”. He relaxes with abandon, lying on his back without a care in the world. He knows he is loved and lets me know that he is grateful for it – and will return it a thousand-fold.
I want to live like my dog…never worrying about what size I am or how my hair looks. My dog doesn’t question if someone likes him; actually there is no doubt in his mind. He plays in the mud and sticks his head out of the car window to feel the wind in his face, gloriously taking in all his surroundings while his ears fly back behind his head. He smiles when he sees me, running with glee to tell me how much he’s missed me even if we’ve only been apart for a moment.
To be like my dog will make me a better person. I will always consider and appreciate my humanness, but will also try to learn to live what comes so naturally for my dog: 1) Enjoy life for what it is 2) Be yourself 3) Love without thought or judgment. Thank you my furry friend for these lessons – you have trained me well.

No comments: