Monday, February 7, 2011

My Imaginary Friend

So, I have this friend I’d like you to meet. She’s an imaginary friend, actually. But before you go judging, let me first introduce you to her – then I will explain.
Her name is Makena…which in Africa means “the happy one”. Makena is from a very small African Village. I don’t know a whole lot about her tribe, except what she wants to share. She and I are the same age, and we are also both grandmothers. That is pretty much where the similarities end.
Makena, besides being my imaginary friend, is also often my voice of reason. She and I have some marvelous conversations. Thankfully they are normally carried on inside my head, where nobody else can hear them.
I tend to vent to Makena. It’s like having coffee with her. So the other day, I was complaining to Makena about our ice storm.
“It was freezing”, I was telling her. “The ice was heavy on the wires and that caused us to lose electricity. We didn’t have lights, hot water or cable TV. It was horrendous.”
“Oh, I totally understand”, said Makena. “The other day the large and heavy bucket that I use to haul our water 3 miles one way had a very large hole in it, so we were without clean water for two days. Not to mention our firewood source is low and I could not warm the water for the rock soup I intended to make for dinner.”
“Oh, that is bad. I can’t imagine. Life sure is tough! I mean I couldn’t watch American Idol or warm up my tea in the microwave. The roads were so bad that the pizza delivery people weren’t working. I even had to pile on an extra blanket to stay warm. What a pain!”
“Oh, my poor friend. I can’t imagine how you handled it. I can relate though. We had a theft in the village the other day. They took our animal skins we use at night for warmth and the torches we use to light our hut. Why would anyone do such a thing? And I know that weather can be our friend, but I also know the weather gods will punish us and test us. Such is your ice storm. You were without your necessities; just like the flood we endured last month. It swept away our belongings and drowned our goats. I am so sorry about your ice storm. It must have been so very hard for you to endure.”
“It was terrible, Makena. You don’t know the half of it. But thanks for listening. I feel better when I can complain to you.”
“You can talk to me anytime you wish, Karen. I am glad I can help. Although I cannot relate to your world, I can truly understand how tough you must have it. Such suffering you must endure. I will listen and try to understand. You have it so much tougher than I…but I will always try to empathize, even if I can’t relate.”
“Thanks Makena. I’m glad somebody will listen to me. Thanks for being there.”
Authors note: Makena will be a recurring character as this writer shares all the hardships she must endure living in Middle America in 2011. She is my reality check…and I’m glad I could share her with you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen... don't know if you remember me or not.. this is Sheri, from Dayton Oh.. though now I live in Florida....