Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Halloween Alter-Ego

I could be a devil…you know, go against my apparently angelic personality. Or how about Snow White? I have never been Snow White….although I have, at some point or another in my life, been Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey and Grumpy. I am quite fond of princesses, also – and have been called that a time or two (a compliment, no doubt…) – so that isn’t really a stretch.

I am looking for an out of the box costume for Halloween. A homerun. A combination of cute, funny, fun, sexy and glamorous. Is that even possible? I mean, I don’t want to be predictable. (Why start now?)

There are a million costumes…it just is a challenge to find the right one. Google “Halloween costumes for women” and you get – you guessed it – angels, devils, maids, fairies, pirates and bunnies. Go figure. I want to be something much more memorable. Maybe Mommy Dearest or Sweet Baby Jane. Ok, so that is bringing out my dark side. But it is Halloween. Or I could go as one or more of my alter egos…such as Mary Poppins or Julie from the Love Boat. Or maybe Pepper Anderson from Policewoman. Even better, Betty White from anything she ever did. I also think I would make a great “Miss Kitty”, and maybe I could even pull off Cleopatra or a Geisha dancer, with the right wig.

Halloween is something that transcends the generations. Adults have fun being kids for a night. After all, we really do know how to have fun – it’s just that a few things have changed. I love haunted hayrides – the only difference is now I really shouldn’t drink a lot of liquid before I scream or laugh. If I choose to be a sexy nurse, I am going to have to wear the slimming “shapewear” underneath the fishnet hose. If I am going to be a clown, I will have to wear face primer so the make-up doesn’t get caught in my wrinkles. A ghost with a white sheet is sounding better all the time.

But I will keep pondering, hoping the perfect costume will materialize out of thin air (sorry, no witches, either). In the meantime, I will carve my pumpkins and decorate my front porch with scarecrows and a skeleton that sings “Bad to the Bone”, and I will eat candy corn while scanning the websites for my perfect alter-ego. After all, tricks and treats aren’t just for kids, are they?

No comments: