Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chocolate

You know, I’ve been reading a few reports lately about how scientists have discovered some kind of natural enzyme or something that will make us stop craving chocolate. The same study is saying that eating a vegetarian diet high in soy is another way of avoiding chocolate cravings. Hmmmm – that’s a tough choice: sautéed tofu or a yummy chocolate covered caramel.

Now I understand the benefits of eating healthy. I even used to be a vegetarian for quite a few years. I can also tell you that even vegetarians eat chocolate. I still eat healthy. I’ve complained about my weight for years. But dang it, I need chocolate. Not WANT chocolate – but NEED chocolate. Well, being somewhat creative, I try to always find my way around road blocks – especially when it comes to food – or more specifically, dessert. I have discovered if I give up the main course to a meal, I can have a Snickers Bar instead.

I believe if God had intended for us to not have chocolate, he would not have invented cravings. These scientists are wasting their time and money on their reports. I imagine they all must be men – for I don’t think men really truly understand the emotional attachment we women have to chocolate. I mean let’s face it – there are times that I would drive 10 miles in a rainstorm to get my favorite chocolate. I have learned to listen to my body when it talks. I hear it when it tells me, go buy the chocolate. I’m not going to argue with this body, nope. It knows it knows what is best for me. I guarantee you I would not drive 10 miles in a rainstorm for tofu.

Maybe the scientists better leave well enough alone. The female species is happy adoring chocolate. We like being addicted to chocolate. We even look forward to certain times when we truly have to have chocolate, or else everyone around us will have to duck and cover to protect their lives.

I know the secret to world peace. Chocolate. Who can fight when you have a savory, soft piece of peanut butter chocolate in your mouth? It’s impossible. Heck, when I start to get a little feisty, all my husband has to do is dangle a chocolate toffee in front of my face and I cave in like an old mine. Men, I hope you are listening. I’m divulging a deep, dark secret. A dark chocolate secret, that is.

No comments: